Monday, May 4, 2015

"Love is the Motive"

Bula Vinaka!
Today marks 17 months as a missionary. I can't believe it. It also marks 2 months left in this beautiful country and with these fabulous people that I love so much, and doing this marvelous work.  It kind of breaks my heart that time is slipping by so fast.  But mostly I'm just grateful. Grateful for the opportunity to be here as a missionary! We truly do have a loving Heavenly Father. :)
This week I was reminded of the power of members in missionary work. We had a few members come with us this week and it made a HUGE difference in the work. One of our members shared her experience overcoming a smoking addiction which gave our investigators hope. And the fellowship is so central! One of the most exciting moments of our week was when our investigator Jo came to church. And it was only possible through the involvement of the members. He is such a golden, prepared investigator. We found him through OYMing his wife our first day here in the area. Then we starting teaching him and his wife together. And this Sunday he came to church! After church he was sharing with us about how he knows this is where he and his family need to be. It just filled me to the brim with JOY! To watch as he caught just a small glimpse of what incredible blessings this Gospel can bring to his family and the potential for his life. I love being a missionary!
His experience reminds me of a quote that I read this week.... "The Lord works from the inside out.  The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums.  Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums.  The world would mold men by changing their environment.  Christ changes men who then change their environment.  The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature.... Yes Christ changes men, and changed men can change the world. "  Powerful eh? That is the miracle of the atonement and the joy of being a missionary. To be able to see that first hand. I just can't get enough. 
I'm trying to use the last part of my mission to really focus in on becoming more Christlike. Because...."That person is greatest and most blessed and joyful whose life most closely approaches the pattern of the Christ." So I have chosen a Christ-like Attribute for each week.  First I focused on patience.  This last week it was Charity.  And my eyes were opened! In one of the talks I read it said this.... "No matter how competent we might be, how bright, how talented, how athletic, how attractive, how hardworking, if we are not acting out of love, we are nothing." That really puts it all in perspective. Our motives matter. A LOT. Love should be at the heart of everything we do. Not always easy. But I know it's true! Especially when it comes to the work of the Lord! Today I'm grateful not only for the words of the ancient prophets but also the words of the living prophets! I'm grateful for the perfect example of our Savior. And I'm grateful for the opportunity He has given me to represent Him. And to learn and grow and become more like Him each day. 
Loloma Levu,

Sista Matheson :)

Teaching na luvequ to make Roti :)
Roti and Vindi! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment