Monday, October 13, 2014

Happy FIJI DAY!

Bula Vinaka!
We had yet another fun-filled and action packed week here in Samabula! It started with a Zone P-day at the beach at Pacific Harbor. So fun! It's a bit sad not to be able to swim because you know how much I LOVE the water, but I was a happy happy girl just to see the beach! It's gorgeous! We had fun playing volleyball and such. Then we had a fabulous FHE with our recent convert and her family. They are the sweetest. I absolutely adore her and can't wait for her to be able to go on a mission! 
This week Sister Chong and I went on a lunch date. I absolutely LOVE my companion. I don't ever want her to leave. Seriously. Lucky we are going to go on plenty adventures when we get home. :) We also went proselyting with Auntie Ana (Sister Bechu) which was way cool! So crazy to be with my trainer again! I love her to pieces too! I've been so lucky with all of my companions. And this week was FIJI DAY!!!! (Like the 4th of July, but for Fiji) So I hope everyone celebrated. :) We celebrated by not having electricity in our flat and cooking roti and curry by candle light. Boht fun. 
Sister Chong and I also got to spend a full proselyting day together in our area which hasn't happened for a long time! It was lovely! The work is picking up and we have been blessed with two wonderful new investigators this week and several potentials! We are working with our Chinese investigator (if you want to see what he's like just watch Ming from the District movie! Adorable! Love him to pieces!) to prepare for his baptism this month. And we gave another investigator a baptismal date for November. It's an exciting time to be a missionary! I was also lucky this week to be able to speak in Sacrament Meeting. 
Also fun fact..... on Sunday our General Authority spoke in Sacrament meeting and shared about how the temple was kept open here in Fiji until it was safe to close it.  There is no coincidence that the temple closed the same week that the Parliment sat in over 8 years. So crazy! We were sad to see the temple close this week, but glad the Lord has a plan! 

We also went on plenty exchanges. Just like every other week! I Love it! I got to go to Naulu with Sister Vereivalu.  We are 'ai vata. (Both from Taveuni) Sister Bechu and I actually taught and baptized her dad (Brother Orisi) and her family is my family in Taveuni.  It was sooo good to be with her and we will miss her so much! Then I went to Nasinu for exchanges with Sister Wright (another Palagi) and that was lovely as well. :) We went to do service for a cute Indian family and I was blown away by their story.....
The grandma told us that when her kids were young, her husband was really sick for like 3 years. In and out of the Hospital. She had to work in a garment factory, take care of him, and raise her children.  Really hard. One day during the Coupe, she was in the Hospital because her husband was particularly sick. She heard a small girl be rushed into the emergency room and all sort of shouting.  Then the workers come in and tell her it's her 10 yr. old daughter. Her arms had been chopped by a crazy man because of all the political problems. They were barely attached.  Her daughter was in a coma for several days and her husband died because of the added stress.  Then the government wouldn't allow her daughter to go overseas for treatment because it stemmed from a political problem. The day her daughter came out of the hospital was the husband's funeral and she had to keep her daughter in the back room so the distress didn't worsen her condition. So rough. She was emotional telling us even after 30 or so years. But her face lit up as she told us with tears in her eyes that it was all ok because they had been sealed as a family.  
This whole week I've been thinking a lot about how lucky I am. Sometimes it's just not fair how some people get all of the trials.  Life is not easy. Sometimes I just feel sooo guilty for not having many major trials like that. Then I see other people who have major trial after major trial. As I was studying Jacob 5 this week, I prayed that the spirit would be able to teach me something new.  I've read that chapter several times already and each time I kind of struggle through.  This time I learned SO much though! One thing that stood out to me was in verse 21 when His servant asks Him why he planted the tree in such a poor spot of land.  The Lord's response melted my heart. 

22 And the Lord of the vineyard said unto him: Counsel me not; I knew that it was a poor spot of ground; wherefore, I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou beholdest that it hath brought forth much fruit.
I know the Lord has a plan for each of us.  And it is far beyond our own understanding. We don't know why he plants good people - His beloved children, in poor ground.  Why it seems that some people have sooo many more trials than others.  But we can have faith that He loves all of His children. And we can learn to " Counsel Him not." :) 
Loloma Levu,
Sista Matheson :)

P.S. I'm STOKED for conference this weekend! YAY!


Our Zone (Suva North Zone) at Pacific Harbor for P-Day
 My sad attempt at a beach jumping picture. Ha.
 Meet "Mong." Our cute sand sea turtle. 


 "Palagi food!" on our companion date :)

 Sister Vereivalu and I in Naulu! I LOVE this girl! :)
 The Curry and Roti Sister Vereivalu and I made on our exchange! 
 Cooking Roti by candle light!
 My cute little Indian friend at service.  I just want to take him home!
 Lilly is our BEST FRIEND!  :)
 I LIVE to watch this woman eat her " 'Ogurt" every week! So funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment