Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thou Hast Had Signs Enough

"But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator." ~ Alma 30:44


When I read this scripture last week, it really got to me. 

Sometimes it's so easy to forget.  Easy to forget all of the signs and testimonies we have been given.  It's easy to hear someone else's story of an incredible "Sign" they have received and think..... "Why them...not me?" It's easy to compare their signs to ours and think theirs are so much better. 

I think it's easy for me to think.... well Heavenly Father... if you'll just give me one more clear sign, then I'll believe. 

But it's HARD to remember all of the signs he has already given us.  Especially when we live in this ultra - distracting world. And especially when Satan is trying so hard to get us to forget... to doubt. 

A couple of months ago, I was inspired by Elder Holland's talk "Lord, I Believe". Which is fabulous. He talks a lot about how we need to "Fan the Flame of our Faith" and be careful not to lose the testimony we have gained.  

I love this quote......

".....hold fast to what you already know and stand strong until additional knowledge comes."

I started thinking about how I personally "Hold Fast" to the knowledge I have.  What am I doing to guard my testimony?  And I got this pretty fabulous idea.  Sometimes the Spirit has some really, REALLY great ideas to share with us. This was one of those times.

So I started my search through old journals and thought back on old experiences and talks and asked for the Lord's help to remember all of the "Signs" and witnesses I had received over the years.  Once I started digging.... the memories and feelings began to rush back. When I started recording......even more. 

My goal is to reflect on this list of "Testimony Builders" often and add to it! It doesn't have to be anything big or crazy.  Just something simple.  To hold fast to what you know.  

Something to show our Heavenly Father that we love Him and recognize and appreciate these gifts - because that's truly what these experiences and signs are..... GIFTS.

Gifts that our Heavenly Father picks out and packages just for us.  Because he knows us individually.  He knows what we need and how we will be most receptive.  

It makes me so sad to think of all of the gifts that my Heavenly Father sent me that I didn't fully appreciate.  Gifts that I didn't thank him for.  Gifts that I didn't hold sacred and value.  Maybe even gifts that I didn't notice.  

I think that the best way we can thank Him, is to take special care to Recognize them and hold them sacred.  Record them and reflect on them when we are discouraged.  

......................................................................................................

How sad are we when we plan and sacrifice for the perfect gift for someone.... when we are so excited to see the reaction on their face.... and then.............

Nothing. 

They don't even give it a second thought.  All of that preparation and anticipation and sacrifice. And they barely even notice.... let alone express gratitude.  

I'm sure this is how our Heavenly Father must feel when He sends us specific answers to prayers and touches our hearts to testify of a certain principle.  When He gives us life changing experiences.  When He sends personal revelation to guide us in our lives.  When He lets us explore and discover the beauty of this world He has created for us. And we don't even give it a second thought. 

My goal is to not let these Gifts - these Signs, slip by un-noticed in my life.  I know when I will recognize them and hold them sacred, I will be blessed with more and more and MORE! Until it is like Christmas every day.  And who wouldn't want that? :)


So when times get tough and you get discouraged..... 
When you feel doubt creeping in.......

Look around you at all of the Signs.  

Because "Thou hast [truly] had signs enough" 



No comments:

Post a Comment