Friday, November 1, 2013

I Love to See the Temple.... I Went Inside THIS WEEK!


"I love to see the temple.  I'm going there someday.
To Feel the Holy Spirit, To listen and to pray.
For the temple is a house of God, A place of love and beauty.
I'll prepare myself while I am young; This is my sacred duty."

"I love to see the temple. I'll go inside someday.
I'll cov'nant with my Father; I'll promise to obey.
For the temple is a holy place where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I've learned this truth: A Fam'ly is forever."

What a beautiful song.

Over the last 20 years, I have waited.... and hoped..... and dreamed.... about the day I would finally be able to show my recommend and enter the temple to receive my own endowments. 

That day was Tuesday.  Tuesday October 29th, 2013. 


It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL. There are no other words to describe it. 

I can testify that the temple truly is "The House of the Lord."......That His Spirit fills every ounce of that sacred building. 

As I reflected back on my experience, something crazy happened.  I realized that I have not been the only one waiting.  I have not been the only one counting down the days.  My Heavenly Father has also patiently waited.  He had been looking forward to Oct. 29th, 2013 as much if not MORE than I had.  I imagine Him excitedly running around Heaven telling everyone that the day was finally here! I imagine Him making sure everything was perfect for this blessed day.  Smiling ear to ear when I showed the adorable temple workers my recommend. Shedding tears of joy as I made sacred covenants with him. 

But then, why wouldn't He?  I am his precious daughter and he wants more than anything for me to be able to live with him again! And this was an essential step!  He wants all of us to return to live with him! I am absolutely positive that he rejoices for each of us individually as we enter His holy temples. 


As I thought about entering the temple, I knew that I wanted to be well prepared for this sacred experience.  

These are the things that I feel helped me prepare:

1. This Book:


This is an easy quick read but definitely worth your time. You can purchase it here. The biggest thing I took from this book  (and I have reflected back on it often) is this formula.....

Preparedness = Worthiness + Knowledge

Preparing for the temple can be overwhelming.  But I think this breaks it down into something a little more digestible.  Worthiness and Knowledge.  I can handle that.  Keep in mind the temple recommend interview questions as you strive to become worthy.  

2. This Pamphlet:

This one is a given.  The things in this pamphlet are the things the Lord would have us understand before we enter his Holy Temples.  The Brethren have been inspired to know what the Lord wants us to learn and do as we prepare. READ IT! Study it.  Mark the crap out of it.  Take notes.  Pray about it.  Learn! Pray about any questions you may have before you read it.  Then be attentive as the Lord answers your questions through the spirit as you study this pamphlet.  

This paragraph was one that hit me hard. 


"If you are going to the temple for the first time it is quite normal for you to be a little unsettled.  WE are naturally anxious about the unknown.  We often become nervous over new experiences.

BE AT PEACE.  You are going to the temple. You will have someone to assist you at every turn.  You will be carefully guided - be at peace."

and it makes sense.

  The temple is a place of peace.  We need not be afraid.  (And it's true.  There really is someone to assist you at every turn. :))

3. Parents, Leaders, and Friends.

Righteous parents, leaders, and friends love you and want to help you prepare for this experience.  I am so thankful to all of those in my life who have given me advice and supported me in my decision to go through the temple.  I have had fabulous examples throughout my life that have made me so excited for this beautiful experience. 


One piece of advice / insight that stuck out to me as I was preparing, was concerning my new temple recommend.  

"Don't ever loose track of it.  Keep it safe.  It is the most important and most valuable card you will ever hold.  It is quite literally the KEY to our Heavenly Father's home."  

What beautiful advice.  My Father in Heaven has trusted me with a key to His home.  I will strive to always cherish it and use it.  To not take it for granted. 


Temple Goals:
1. Go to the Temple once a week before my mission.
2. Go to the Temple at least once a month for the rest of my life. 
(In the mission field is probably an exception.)
3.  Learn something new EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Like the above quote says, I know sometimes going to the temple may appear as a sacrifice at times in my life, but I have faith that it will be WORTH it.  It is an opportunity for my Heavenly Father to bless me. 

...................................................................................................................................................................

I am so  Grateful.

Grateful for the blessing of growing up in the Gospel.

Grateful that I was introduced to the beautiful song "I Love to See the Temple" at a young age. 

Grateful that I was taught and inspired by Leaders and parents and friends throughout my life who have helped point my life in the direction of the temple. 

Grateful for my Savior who lived and died for me.  

Grateful to my Heavenly Father who has ALWAYS been rooting for me. 

Grateful for Temples and for the blessings received within their walls. 

Grateful for the opportunity to serve a mission in Fiji and share these beautiful blessings with the people I love so much. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment