Saturday, January 4, 2014

Happy New Year!

Bula!

Happy New Year! I'm soooo excited for 2014!  It's destined to be a fabulous year. Why? 1. Because I'll be serving the Lord the ENTIRE year. 2. Because it's 2000....14. And I really like the number 14. 3. Because I'll be in FIJI for almost the entire year.  Anyways, I hope you all had a fantastic New Year's. We didn't do a whole ton because we were pretty sick and it's also the MTC where you are technically supposed to be in bed asleep by 10:30.  But we still waited up till midnight.  And we had an adorable little party with hot chocolate and m&m's in the hall. 

A couple of days ago I got a pretty nasty cold and stayed in bed most of the day, but I'm feeling better now. It's been going around.  But the same day I stayed home, Sister Iro stayed home as well. She said her stomach hurt so we both slept all morning.  When I went outside to study, she was crying because she was in so much pain.  Sister Pauga and Sister Pauni took her to the Hospital where they found out she has an Ovarian Cyst. And that's no fun.  Talking to her later, she said that she has been in the hospital with the same thing every Dec./Jan. for the last 4 years. And she's usually there for a month and can't eat or walk.  I'm REALLY hoping that is because she didn't have the technology or medicine to recover faster. Because we are leaving for Fiji in 9 days! So the elders gave her a blessing last night and she seems to be doing better. I spent the whole day today taking her to doctor's appointments and such though. She's adorable.  I was going to wait outside for her and she whispered in my ear..."Sista.... we go togetha?"  She's still so positive.  After her emergency room adventure, she tried to call her family and there was no number for ANYONE in her family or the branch or district president in the Solomon Islands. She has had no contact with her family at all. But it's been such a miracle to see all the love and support she has received from complete strangers.  So thank you to any and all of you that have helped. Her email ismatilda.iro@myldsmail.net if anyone would like to email her. 

Funny stories of the week......... 1. A few night ago I was in the hall talking to the sisters next door and sister Uate walks by and asks if anyone can cut hair.  We all said no and didn't think anything of it. Five minutes later I walk into her room to ask them something and she has her hair flipped upside down over the garbage can and is chopping (and I mean chopping. There was no order to it at all) her long gorgeous hair off.  Like a foot. With my preschool scissors. I about died. "SISTER UATE!!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU DOING?!?!" "I'm just cutting my hair sister Matheson." Like it was completely normal......I died. Turns out she didn't want to wait till her appt. on Thursday.  So she took matters into her own hands. Such a different culture. Ha.  2. Our district said a TON of funny things in lessons this week. Here are a few of my favorites. "Jesus had a spicy death." "I pray to Heavenly Father because I am a big problem" and "Let us not be Satan. Amen." And about a bazillion others.  

This week I really focused on helping others.  I realized that I absolutely LOVE tutoring.  I think I always have.  When I look back on my life, some of the most meaningful things I've done have been helping people one on one. Volunteering at the ELC, the elementary school, helping people with spanish or math or whatever else. It makes me so happy.  So I made a goal to spend 30 minutes helping someone learn every day.  Mostly Fijian or the Scriptures.  It turned out to be my favorite part of the day. I think that is what some of these sisters really need.  I'm sure it is super intimidating and hard to ask questions if you are confused when you hardly speak English. So I tried to identify something they individually needed to learn or practice and then taught them. So fun! Also, I spent quite a bit of time discussing the scriptures with one of the elders. It's so much more fun if you can compare insights and favorite parts and both people learn so much more. Sidenote... I also decided it's time for me to read the New Testament. And so far I really really like it. Also, I read most of 3rd Nephi this week and I decided if I could experience any chapter of scripture ever, it would be 3 Nephi 17.  It's incredible. Go read it. 

We found out today that we actually leave the 11th of January instead of the 14th. So this is going to be our last Sunday! So wild. I'm excited but nervous. We also found out that we don't all have our visas yet, but they didn't say which missionaries' visas were missing. The four Americans would be sent to a stateside mission until they come and the 13 International missionaries would wait in the MTC. So pray for VISAS!  Also, did I mention that one of our Elders broke his Ankle? So he's he'll leave a few weeks after us either way. I can't believe it's coming so soon though! We only have one more Pday here! Here we come FIJI! :)

Loloma Levu,

Sister Matheson


Part of our huge polynesion Zone.  Love Them.


Pretty much the only time in my life that I have felt semi-small.  I'm not kidding. . . .
these guys are huge!  Such big teddy bears.   They were blushing so bad when I asked if I could take a picture with them.  The only Palagi girl. 


Sis. Pauga and I in the Cafeteria.  The "Poly" table is right in front of that stinkin picture in the background so we stare at it three times a day everyday. 


New Years Eve festivities!


Ready to go do our laundry in our lavalavas (or Sulu's -which is what they are called in Fiji I think) They insisted I wear it. :) Ha love them. But I do feel a little funky. I better get used to it I guess eh?

Sister Uate cutting her hair.

 I looked over and this is how I saw Sis. iro. Ha. I died. She's the cutest. 
 And apparently she's not used to the cold. :)

Sister Iro and I. We're definitely best friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment